Okay, so I’ve been really into natural products lately, whether it’s bath & body products, natural remedies instead of medication and even the things that I am putting into my body. Lately, i’ve had a sore throat and have been reseraching natural anti-inflammatory products to help with this. Of course in my search, I came across turmeric and it's benefits. Turmeric, also known as the “Golden Spice” has many benefits. A blog by Meghan Telpner lists the following benefits such as:
- “Antioxidant: Curcumin has the ability to quench free radicals that can cause mutation in our DNA.
- Cancer Preventative: The cancer-causing effects of cigarette smoke, barbequing, and smoke of any kind are suppressed by curcumin.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory powers are as effective as many anti-inflammatory drugs, including effective as phenylbutazone and cortisone without the side effects.
- Liver Protective: Curcumin has been shown to have a protective effect on the liver and is incredibly effective at increasing bile release, which helps with fat digestion.
- Wound Healing: Natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties to keep the infection away from cuts and burns.
- Super Brain Function: Curcumin greatly reduces the rate of mental decline. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer'sdisease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
- Kills the Bad Guys: Curcumin has anti-microbial properties that fight the nasty guys such as Clostridium, Streptococcus, Entamoeba histolytica, and several pathogenic fungi.
- Natural Pain Killer: Helps reduce sensations of chronic pain. Yay more of this!
- Promote Weightloss: Helps manage weight, and aid in fat metabolism.
- Reduce Depression: A staple in Chinese medicine for helping lift mood in cases of depression.
- Boost Effectiveness of Cancer Drugs: Studies have shown that turmeric can boosts the effects of chemo drug paclitaxel and reduces its side effects.
- Skin Healing: Can help internally and topically with psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.”
I said to myself, I have to incorporate turmeric into my life! I didn't want to just take a capsule, or sprinkle the powder on everything, so I said how else can I utilize turmeric? Back to google I went Ha HA and I found turmeric tea. I found a simple recipe, but still tweaked it a bit. I decided to go with two main ingredients, turmeric and black pepper. Black pepper was important because it contains piperine. Piperine has been shown to help relieve nausea, headaches and poor digestion and also has anti-inflammatory properties.I simply boiled the turmeric and black pepper(piperine) with water for about 6 minutes, allowed it to cool and BOOM, turmeric tea. Some add honey and cinnamon for taste, but I didn't add either. For me, it had a pleasant taste with just a bit of spice. It is definitely something I will continue to incorporate into my self-care lifestyle.
Why Combine Turmeric and Black Pepper? When you combine the piperine in black pepper and the Curcumin in turmeric research suggests that the curcumin absorption into the blood is enhanced by 2,000%. From my research, it also says to add a fat, such as milk, heavy cream and an oil, so it can better be absorbed into the blood. I didn’t add a fat this time, but will try it in the near future.
Overall, both piperine and curcumin improves health due to their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and disease-fighting qualities.